The television tends to be the centerpiece of any family room. A television, however, also means DVD players and video game systems, which all have wires which can clutter up the space. If the TV is smaller, the system is easier to hide, but a large-screen television and peripherals are harder to control. However, if you build a wall mounted TV cabinet to house your large-screen television, you will be able to keep everything neat and tidy in one place.
Materials for Building a Wall Mounted TV Cabinet
- Two pieces 3/4-inch cedar, 7 foot by 18 inches
- One piece 3/4-inch cedar, 5 foot by 7 foot
- One piece 3/4-inch cedar, 5 feet by 18 3/4 inches
- Three pieces 1-inch cedar, 18 inches by 58 1/2 inches
- One piece 1-inch cedar 18 inches by 21 inches
- Two pieces 3/4-inch cedar, 54 inches by 28 7/8 inches
- Measuring tape
- Drill with screwdriver bit
- 2-inch wood screws
- Four interior hinges
- Two cabinet handles
- Hole saw
Step by Step of Building a Wall Mounted TV Cabinet
- Place the pieces of 7-foot-by-18-inch 3/4-inch cedar on a flat surface so they are “standing” on their 7-foot edges. These are the cabinet sides. Place the piece of 5-foot-by-7-foot cedar board on top of the edges so the sides are on either end of the larger piece. This is the back of the cabinet. Screw the back top the sides by driving in 2-inch wood screws through th back and into the edges of the side pieces. The screws should be placed every 6 inches.
- Place the piece of 5-foot-by-18-3/4-inch cedar over one end of the cabinet frame. This is the top of the cabinet. Screw the cabinet top pieces to the frame by driving wood screws spaced 6 inches apart through the top and into the edges of the back and side pieces.
- Place a piece of the 18-inch-by-58-1/2-inch 1-inch cedar inside the cabinet frame to the opposite side of the top piece. This is the bottom, and it should fit inside of the cabinet frame. Screw the bottom piece to the frame by driving screws placed 6 inches apart through back and side pieces into the bottom piece.
- Measure 28 inches from the “top” of the bottom piece along the cabinet sides and make a mark. Place another piece of 18-inch-by-58-1/2-inch cedar at this mark to form the television shelf. The bottom of the shelf piece should be even with the mark. Screw this piece into the back and side pieces by driving screws into the edges of the shelf from the back and sides.
- Measure 6 inches from the bottom of the television shelf toward the bottom and make a mark. Place the last piece of 18-inch-by-58-1/2-inch cedar inside the cabinet frame at this mark. This is a shelf for the television peripherals.
- Measure 28 3/4 inches along the bottom shelf from the cabinet side and make a mark. Place the piece of 18-inch-by-21-inch cedar in a vertical fashion at this mark, running from the bottom of the cabinet to the bottom of the peripheral shelf. Screw this piece to the peripheral shelf and the bottom piece.
- Drill holes through the back of the cabinet in the space just above the peripheral shelf and just above the television shelf. These holes will allow you to run cables from your peripherals to your television.
- Measure 1 foot from the top and the television shelf along the cabinet sides and make marks (there should be four). Screw interior hinges to the cabinet sides at these locations. Attach the pieces of 54-inch-by-28-7/8-inch cedar to the hinges to create cabinet doors. Attach the cabinet door handles to the cabinet doors on the opposite side from the hinges. Stand the cabinet up.
If you know a bit about woodworking and want to save yourself some money, you can build your own wall mounted TV cabinet fairly easily. This project is not for beginners, but you don’t have to be an expert carpenter to make a beautiful piece for your living room, family, bedroom or other area of the house.
13 Picture Gallery: How to Build a Wall Mounted TV Cabinet
Tags: build a tv cabinet, building a tv cabinet, how to build a outdoor tv enclosure, outdoor pop up tv cabinet, floating cabinet for tv, wall mounted plasma tv cabinet, diy floating tv stand, plasma tv wall mount cabinet, cabinet tv modern design, design for tv cabinet, how to build a tv cabinet, build your own tv cabinet, how to build tv cabinet, floating tv cabinet, build outdoor tv cabinet, how to build outdoor tv enclosure, how to make tv cabinet, maple tv cabinet, wall mount tv cabinet, cabinet for wall mounted tv, tv cabinet design, tv wall mounted cabinet, diy outdoor tv enclosure, mounted tv cabinet
This post topic: Furniture